Bishop Stuart University (BSU) is a based private,non-for-profit chartered University established by the Ankole Diocese of the Province of the Anglican Church of Uganda.
It traces its humble beginnings from Bishop Tucker Theological College Mukono which was founded in 1913 as a Normal School and over the years evolved into the Uganda Christian University in 1992. The Normal School was transferred to Ruharo, next to Mbarara High School in 1952 under Rev. Hugh F. Hodge who founded a grade II co-educational Teacher Training College, known as Bishop Stuart College at Kakoba.
From 1952-1981 Bishop Stuart College trained grades II and III teachers. In 1982 the College was transferred to Kibingo in Rwampara, giving way to National Teachers College, Kakoba, to train Diploma Teachers for Primary and Secondary Schools.
In March 2002, the Ankole Diocese Synod resolved to establish a University at Kakoba Hill, named Bishop Stuart University.
In April 2004, Bishop Stuart University became affiliated to Uganda Christian University, Mukono and through this affiliation, Uganda Christian University started awarding Degrees, Diplomas, and Certificates to Bishop Stuart University students.
Bishop Stuart University was then licensed by National Council for Higher Education(NCHE)and was allowed to award Degrees, Diplomas, and Certificates starting with 2006/7 Academic year, until 2014 when Bishop Stuart University received its charter from NCHE, which means from now on Bishop Stuart University can award any postgraduate and Undergraduate degree in any discipline as long as it is accredited by NCHE
Faculties & Campuses5 Faculties and 2 Campuses in total
- Faculty of Agriculture, Environmental Sciences & Technology
- Faculty of Education, Arts & Media Studies
- Faculty of Business, Economics & Governance
- Faculty of Law
- Faculty of Nursing and Health Sciences